Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Landing on an Aircraft Carrier

 Bringing you up to speed
First let me say I finally got Microsoft Flight Simulator X re-installed on my computer after experiencing a number of technical difficulties.  As soon as I re-installed it I got right to work on practicing my carrier landings, because I have sent in my application to the Virtual United States Navy !  I hope to hear back from them very soon.

Aircraft Carriers
These are scary inventions, even with today's level of technology.  Nuclear-powered-jet-catapaulting-monstrosities I like to call them.  Taking off from one is a total rush, even on a simulator you are experiencing something brand new.  Going from 0 to 165 mph in 2 seconds is an insane rush, but the landing is where it gets scary as all Hell.  You have this little dot you are aiming to land on instead of a long strip of concrete and you have to hit it just perfectly or you can easily crash and die.
My experience so far with this form of landing has so far resulted in just that manner.  The F-14 Tomcat is a big jet, and you can tell when you try to land this big goliath!  I tried over a dozen times and every time resulted my plane crashing into the deck, despite my knowledge.  I did manage to land on the deck and have the hook grab a cable but the plane got thrown onto its side from the force of the landing and I ended up with my nose plowed sideways into the deck.  I will try to get more pictures up for you guys soon, but for now check out my gallery for those that I took during my attempts

1 comment:

  1. After your Nebraska/repurpose assignment, I thought for sure you would have begun to reconceive this blog.

    For instance, is it important that your readers know that you reinstalled your flight sim--especially sitting under the "landing on an aircraft carrier" heading? Not as important as the actual landing, right?

    Further, I keep banging against the audience thing? Much of this post, for instance, seems aimed at novices--some at experts.

    Keep asking yourself: what's my purpose? whose my audience? And let your answers inform your headings, paragraphs, sentence, word choice, pic choice. Everything.

    ReplyDelete