Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First VATSIM Experience

I just downloaded Squawkbox which is a chat and connection program used by VATSIM to conduct air traffic control online between pilots and other players directing the pilots from air traffic control.  VATSIM's website and my Dad highly recommended hopping online and listening to the communication between players to get a feel for what I'm up against.  It took a while for me to get an idea of how to work the program, but I finally got the feel for it, tuned my plane's radio to the channel for Chicago Center and listened to the air traffic surrounding the Chicago airspace.

 Screenshot of my entire desktop with Squawkbox windows open (yes I do have dual monitors)

It was amazingly realistic!  If you have ever flown with United (because they allow you to do this most often compared to other airlines) and listened to the air traffic with the headphones and radio you have at your seat, it sounds exactly like this...a little more busy granted as there's more going on in the real world than on VATSIM, but the communication was the same nonetheless.  The experience was a little intimidating at first, but I think I can manage it.  Also I've decided to use this blog as a log a bit more than I have been.  This has come from outside advice and so you know what's going on whenever new pictures are posted, which will happen often as I take screenshots almost everytime I fly and the album is directly connected to Flight Simulator X's screenshot folder.  Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your posts, but I get a strong sense that you aren't really editing to support a specific purpose. In other words, this seems more like a journal then a project. Chunking and using headings would help--and be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete